GOSA LITERACY GRANT
Governor Deal challenged the sixteen RESAs across the state to apply for a two million dollar grant that focuses on K-3 foundational reading skills. The team met several times last spring and during the summer to write the grant which was accepted and will be funded by GOSA (Governor’s Office of Student Achievement).
The goals of the grant are to:
1. Increase the number of Tier 2 and Tier 3 students who can read proficiently by the end of third grade.
2. Provide in-depth professional learning via offsite learning, onsite collaboration, and coaching models.
3. Create model classrooms that effectively utilize evidence based research practices to teach reading and equip teachers to use assessment effectively to guide instruction.
The grant is:
1. Aligned with TKES
2. Considered an “initiative “ for CCRPI
3. An opportunity for K-3 teachers from three different counties to collaborate
4. An opportunity to have a minimum of monthly support/coaching/modeling from RESA specialist
5. A challenge to narrow the gaps of the Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 student
Stay tuned by reading future newsletters to travel this exciting journey with CSRA RESA!
GROWING READERS YEAR 2 STUDENTS
GROWING READERS YEAR 1 STUDENTS
Anchor charts created by teachers during class with their Growing Readers instructor, Ms. Debbie Callan.
Growing Readers Year 2 Students
September 8, 2016
FOR RESOURCES, PLEASE CLICK ON OUR GROWING READERS LIVEBINDER BELOW
growing readers Professional Learning
February 1-2, 2016
Haley Brantley, a 3rd grade Teacher at Swainsboro Elementary, used these slides to teach her "Word Wizards" vocabulary for a story. Her word wizards demonstrate great examples of integration of learning targets, definitions, use in a sentence, and a think box to extend thinking of the word.
Great work by Media Specialist Missy Lewis at Westmont Elementary School for her support with Lexile support and Leveled readers.
In addition, teachers are using the annotation poster to help students as they annotate close reading.